"A scholar who loves comfort is not fit to be called a scholar." ~Confucius, Analects

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Refinement- Technological Utopia?

This week, the concepts and ideas of LoTi (Levels of Technology Implementation) was introduced to our Technology and Literacy class as a core concept. It took me some time to really wrap my head around what the levels of technology means to me, my classroom, our students, and the future of teaching. I read, reviewed, and studied the various links to understand this model. Power points, rubrics, quizzes, screen casts, and blogs were all available to me to help my understanding of what LoTi means. Many times during the course of my readings, I thought back to my class and reflected on my levels of technology implementation in my classroom and in my district’s ELA curriculum.

According to the readings and resources, I would say the LoTi in my class is about a level 3 (infusion). Some students create projects at level 5 (expansion) but some don’t explore technology at all. Some of my students don’t have computers at home and some go to camps over the summer where they create applications for the iPhone. Every year, I admit, the use and implementation of technology does increase, as it should. While realizing this is true and seeing the benefit of technology use in the classroom by the students, are we supposed to transition into Class 2.0 completely? Besides the limitations of technology resources in many schools nationwide, do we really want to aim for “Computer Heaven”?

I don’t know why I am so apprehensive. I can’t help but to see a science fiction thriller resembling this day where technology is "unlimited to every student in the classroom". Do we need a teacher in the room if this is true? Will students know how to interact with their peers, socialize with adults, or share their thoughts and ideas verbally? One of the most technological savvy students I had last year (who we considered our in-house IT support) was the most socially inept 7th grader amongst his peers. Why was this so? I know, I know ...there are several articles out there on the web for and against the use of technology. I struggle with teaching students literacy, how to read in the 7th grade, express critical thinking, and feel confident to interpret literature the way they see it. I also see the obligation we have to adapt our work in a changing world. Can’t there be a balance? Can we have both; technology and traditional pen to paper, social networks and face to face interactions?

No comments:

Post a Comment