"A scholar who loves comfort is not fit to be called a scholar." ~Confucius, Analects

Friday, July 23, 2010

Eagle Eyes



So, my blog, my chance to voice my answer from yesterday's class. For some reason, I cannot get my mic to work during whole class discussions on Webex; it is very disheartening.
Anyway, the animal that came to mind when Dr. S asked us to compare an animal to assessment was the eagle. I chose the eagle because I imagine assessment as ongoing, always happening, and assessment doesn't require much attention. I feel that a good teacher is always assessing, always watching, listening, and hovering from near and afar. For example, I will direct my physical attention to one partnership, but am truly paying attention to another nearby. I joke with my kids that I am always watching, always listening. I think being engaged with your student's learning at all times is a part of authentic assessment. Are the kids participating? Are they engaged? Do they look like they are having difficulty?
I know we haven't talked about this yet, but I do think body language is to be assessed. It's the difference between "she doesn't get it and is about to give up if I don't intercede" or

"he's exploring, let me give him another minute before continuing the class".


There are so many ways you can assess. You can assess through e-portfolios, standardized test, projects, oral, visual, etc. But assessment has to lend itself to differentiated instruction. I think teachers must offer a variety of assessments on topics so all kids have an opportunity to showcase what they have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment