"A scholar who loves comfort is not fit to be called a scholar." ~Confucius, Analects

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!



In September of every year, I create a newsletter for parents. It includes a welcome back letter from me where I get a chance to introduce myself, goes over the curriculum, class expectations, etc. I like to provide the parents with important information about the year, but also use the newsletter as a way of showing my personality. It allows the parents to get a sense of what their children's year will be like.

In the past, I have used Microsoft publisher to create my newsletter, but I think Glogster is a great tool to use the way my group did. I would also like to use my new website to communicate with parents. My blog would also be a great way for parents to stay informed and provide feedback.

Glogster is fun to use because you can create a visual that really fits your personally. It's also very easy to add text, images, and video. You can add a lot to the glog without creating pages upon pages. Best of all, Glogster is interactive.

I think it was a little difficult to collaborate on a class newsletter when everyone in a group is teaching a different grade and academic. Our audiences are different which would make for a very different newsletter. I think that as a group, we tried our best to stay focused on how we are going to use and implement technology in our classrooms, which was our common goal.

The class newsletter I will create for September will be more specific to 7th and 8th grade English, but I think the level of technology explanation and information will be consistent with what I did with my group.

2 comments:

  1. Digital newsletters are a great addition to any classroom. It is a good idea to try programs like Glogster that can be shared online with parents or printed out for those parents who do not have computer access. When parents become more familiar with technology, they will have an easier time helping their children with projects throughout the year. It may also help them grown a further appreciation for technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, you know I LOVE the Voki! I definitely agree with what you said about Glogster. I think it would be a great program to use instead of Microsoft Publisher. Isn't it great that your next upcoming school year, you are going to come in with so many exciting ideas? :)

    It was great working with you!

    ReplyDelete